Thursday, June 2, 2011

Goodbye Gray?!

I have gray hair.

Most of it appeared sometime between my engagement and when I went back to work after having a baby.  The bulk of the gray hair is located in my bangs in a significant streak.  This past year I realized I was starting to look like the principal of my junior high, who we all said resembled a skunk.  After this realization, I started trying to hide the gray.

My hair responds badly to dye; it dries out and sometimes falls out.  Since I prefer to avoid using harmful chemicals on my body, I have used henna to color my hair, but it has not proven effective for covering the gray for any significant amount of time.  I finally broke down and used regular hair dye, trying as much as possible to only use it on my super-human gray hairs, but it got on the brown hair as well.  I wash my hair with baking soda, which is abrasive and is not kind to dyed hair, so now I have brassy post-dyed brown hair in addition to the gray that shows once the dye wears off.  I'm not happy.

So now I am trying something new.  According to several sources on the internet, you can remove gray hair using sage.  So tonight I picked a ton of sage, boiled water and let it steep until it appeared to be a pretty strong tea.  I will be applying this to my hair in hopes that the gray will turn brown in a few weeks.  We'll see how it works.  

Here is a list of several natural options for coloring hair.  Someday I might try some of the others if I should ever get my hands on the ingredients.

No comments: