Thursday, October 13, 2011

Why the Second Time is Better

During my first pregnancy, my husband was my monitor.  I was not allowed soft cheeses (my favorites), cured meat of any kind, fish, and only a few sips of alcohol in nine months.  He was crazy paranoid that everything was going to hurt the baby and I could barely sneak any of these items without his coming over to regulate. 

The second time around, I am happy to say he has either forgotten or become significantly less paranoid.  I have eaten swordfish (not a great idea, but okay one time), had all variety of unpasteurized cheese and other products as well as bacon, ham, and even hot dogs at Izzy's initiation.  To top it off, tonight he made me a margarita!  I crave tequila when I am pregnant, so that is a treat.

If you are someone who has problems with pregnant women having alcohol, I'm sorry.  But women all around the world drink more alcohol than I ever intend to while pregnant and their babies turn out fine.  I only started having a little again now that I am in my second trimester, and I doubt I've finished even a whole drink a week.  I can tell that my ability to metabolize it is decreased, and drink accordingly. 

My point is that I have been thinking about all of the things I was nervous about last time from eating bacon while pregnant to giving Bee a bottle too early, and I suspect that just like my eating habits, several things will go differently during this child's early life.  Being completely ignorant about everything related to pregnancy and babies was exhausting and nerve-wracking.  So far, this child's existence has been so much easier. 

Perhaps the volume of gray hair on my head won't quadruple with this child.  That would be nice...

No comments: