Friday, December 28, 2012

Seven Quick Takes - Little Bits of Christmas

7 quick takes sm1 Your 7 Quick Takes Toolkit!

1.
Merry Christmas!  The last week was somewhat chaotic and passed too quickly, but we had a lovely time. Before Christmas, the children and I had the flu. This resulted in one more day off work than I planned.  I spent Thursday and Friday in bed with Phoebe listening to music on Pandora and napping.  In spite of all the vomiting, it was lovely and I enjoyed spending time with her while she was more relaxed than normal. 

2.
Sunday was Christmas service at church.  Our community follows the Quaker tradition of not having special services on Christmas Eve so the Christmas celebration was on Sunday with a lunch afterward.  I have to say that I really dislike holiday services at non-liturgical churches. I know people love them, but watching a string of performances, even if I enjoy them, does not help me worship or reflect on the Incarnation.  Call me Scrooge - my family already does.  I did really enjoy the potluck and wish my littles had been feeling better so we could have stayed and enjoyed the company longer.

3.
As part of the aforementioned service, Bee sang "Away in a Manger" with the other littles.  She still wasn't feeling well, and even wearing her sparkly tutu didn't help.   She frowned through the song, which made me a little sad because she loves singing so much usually and she always loves an audience.          

4.
We spent Monday and Tuesday at my parents' house and enjoyed time with my family.  I always wish we could have more time.  It seems that both of the children grew up a lot over those two days.  Probably I just noticed things that I don't usually see because I am at work for most of their waking hours. 

5.
Monday afternoon, my parents, Ezra and I visited my grandfather in the nursing home after we heard he was not doing well and he passed away Christmas morning.  While my mom was originally hoping that he would not pass until after Christmas, I think she ended up appreciating having people around and a lot to do that day.  I hadn't seen him in a while, so I am glad that I got to go say goodbye. 

6.
Ezra started communicating a lot more over the last week.  He holds his arms out to the people he wants, waves hello, and I think he is also signing for milk.  The milk sign looks a lot like a hello wave, but last night I decided they were different.

7.
I came back to work yesterday.  It is more difficult than normal to be here after I spent such a nice week with my children.

More Quick Takes found here

No comments: