Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Getting Started

I wonder if I am the only one who finds it depressing to start something new.  I love starting new things.  Starting something new is exciting, but there is also something discouraging about the first day you begin to do anything. 

I have started lots of things that I quit or did not work out.  I have started more things that I failed to finish than things that I have finished.  I know this when I start something new. After I do something for the first time there is an element of discouragement.  This is only the first day.  I have so far to go until a reach my goal or form a new habit, and it is so hard to press on toward a goal when you are just starting no matter how badly you want to succeed. 

I know that when you begin things that you need to plan and that part of that plan involves planning for success.  I love nothing more than a good plan; especially one that is written down and has boxes to check off.  I need plans or I know I will never accomplish anything.  However, another key to finishing what you start is momentum.  I thrive off of momentum and it is hard to build.  

I mentioned when I was writing about my goals for the year that I have a problem with the book of Genesis as a starting place for reading the whole Bible.  This is why: I just read the first three or four chapters of a huge book I have read many times and I know that I have so far to go.  I also know how much discipline it is going to take to make it that far.  Having an understanding of just how great a task is sometimes makes it harder at the beginning.  The nice thing about the Bible is that you can start in Job or anywhere else and go back to the beginning once you have some momentum.  Then it doesn't feel quite so daunting.  You can't do that with most things. 

So when I start things with my plan complete with checkboxes in hand, I cross off the first box and look at all of the boxes left to go and wonder, knowing how hard it is going to be to take the next few steps to check off the next few boxes. Fortunately, I get a high off of checking boxes and that gives me a little motivation when the knowledge that the goal I am pursuing is worth it isn't quite enough to get me moving.  I also know that with each box I check off, I am changing my life and forming new habits and things get a little bit easier.    

No comments: