Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lent

If anyone considers himself religious but does not bridle his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.   James 1:26

Lent started earlier this week.  When I was thinking about what I wanted to do to observe Lent this year, I wasn't excited about any of the standard things to fast from.  I have done dessert, alcohol, and TV many times and I was not really sure how fasting from any of these things would help me.

I realized last Sunday that the one thing I have been having a hard time with lately is saying things I ought not to say.  As I reflected on my week, I had James 1:26 running through my head.  I decided that perhaps instead of fasting I would practice the discipline of silence this lent.  It is an appropriate discipline for the season since in promotes reflection, meditation on my faults, and dependence on God.  It is a hard discipline to practice, though, for someone who spends as little time alone as I do.  I can't give up talking altogether, which means I need to be thoughtful about how I practice silence during Lent.  This means trying to keep silent as much as possible when I don't need to talk, and trying to find times during the week to sit in silence.  One of the other things I have done is not spoken about my practice - except right now.  No one including my husband (unless he thinks to read my blog) knows I am doing this.  I am only writing about it to make myself attend carefully to my progress.  

The most important thing I want to do during this time is get myself out of the habit of saying things that are unnecessary and unhelpful.  I would also like to be able to have more self-control as I speak to my husband when I am frustrated with him.  I don't like the way I speak to him. 

Five days in to Lent, and so far I am not doing great at my practice.  I have certainly been reminded that I have very little self-control and that I need help. 

I decided today that I need regular reminders during the day to keep an eye on my speech.  I will probably set an alarm on my phone to remind myself starting tomorrow.

One thing I stumbled upon this week while I was reading that encouraged me was this:

Where there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise.   Proverbs 10:19

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is great, Jessica! Good luck!